• Extensions of any kind
• Hair braiding
• Transitional styles
• Sisterlock™ maintenance
• Interlocking or latch hooking
• Barbering services
• Blow-outs or any other heat applications
NO! Please read this section thoroughly. Our stylist, Ms. Jey, does NOT use the latch hook or interlocking method to maintain locs.. In fact, she turns away guests who have used said methods. Jey works with the new growth, which she feels is essential to the healthy maintenance technique that she uses. Interlocking and/or latch hooking robs traditional locs of a healthy foundation ~ the roots. To sum it up, latch hooking/interlocking thins the roots out over time and they begin to weaken. In addition, it leaves the scalp feeling tight and sore. Please notify the salon before scheduling if you have been latch hooked or interlocked.
No. Color is a chemical service that Natural Roots by Jey is not licensed to provide. According to the NC Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners, chemical services are to be performed by a licensed cosmetologist.
The best way to schedule an appointment with Natural Roots by Jey is through our online booking site www.naturalrootsbyjey.genbook.com. For your convenience, you can also download the Genbook App to smartphones. The Genbook App makes scheduling and managing your appointments easier.
•Do you have any formal training in hair care?
• Have you specifically trained as a natural hair care specialist or is it something you picked up?
• How did you obtain your natural hair care specialist license?
• Do you work with relaxed hair also?
• What method of loc maintenance do you use?
• What products do you use?
• Do you use anything to retwist locs?
• What is average service time at your salon?
• What is the typical wait time after I arrive?
• How do you start locs?
• Does your service include a shampoo?
• Do you have any photos of your work?
• Do you offer online scheduling?
• What method of payment do you accept?
• Do you accept walk-ins?
• Don’t be afraid to ask questions. It’s your hair!
• Moisture begins with water.
• First water, then your oil or cream. When used together, they lock in moisture.
• Don’t apply oil or products to a dirty scalp.
• If you have doubts about the processes being used on your hair don’t proceed. Doubt means don’t.
• Neither locs nor natural hair will have the same shine that relaxed hair has.
• Too many products can weigh the hair down and irritate the scalp.
Natural Roots by Jey requires 3 inches or longer of loose natural hair for service.
Natural Roots by Jey starts locs using the 2-strand twist method. The size of the starter locs will depend on the length, texture, and condition of the hair. The longer the hair, the better.
Yes we do, ages 10-17.